Heart Reflections Live

Friday, September 26, 2008

Do You Have Toxic Plastics in Your Kitchen?



For quite a while now, with media interest on and off focusing on some of the dangers of plastic bottles and food storage containers, especially in conjunction with microwave usage, we've been op-shopping and garage-saling for items like these vintage pyrex containers, glassware and ceramic items- basically the type of stuff Grandma used- minus the dreaded aluminium saucepans of course.

Just a week ago, my hubby heard a report that it has now been confirmed that using plastic in the microwave can cause chemicals to leach into food, and in particular, any hard clear plastic containers that have a triangle with a number 7 in it, are not to be trusted at all. Any drink, hot or cold, left for over 30 minutes in one of these, may contain chemicals.

With 2 new babies on the way, I decided to hit our Tupperware cupboard for a very careful inspection. To be fair to Tupperware, the majority of their products are just fine. I would trust most of their merchandise old or new over any cheap imports any day. However, some of their stuff was labelled with the dreaded number 7! I'm no longer using their Clearmates fridge containers, or- shock horror- their Rock n' serve blue and yellow microwave sets. (We've been using these microwave ones for nearly 8 years of marriage!).

We are still using Tupperware products for food storage (especially for small amounts of leftovers), but I now refuse to microwave in any plastic container. It's not that hard to transfer food leftovers to a china plate or bowl before reheating. We still use our microwave. I've never been one to cook in it, but find it very handy for heating leftovers, or defrosting frozen bread if I'm caught short. Tupperware has some other newer products made of hard plastic too, like their Stackcooker, microwave jug, and plastic dinner ware. I haven't seen any research on these yet. If you know of any independant tests, let me know- it's important to get the word out.

In my cupboard clean out I also found some cheapo plastics from a $2 shop, and some washed takeout Chinese containers I was frugally hoarding. These and anything else I find to be no longer safe, are destined for the Homeschool corner, Sunday School Craft and other storage.

Did you know baby bottles are number 7? As a Mum who usually can't nurse, we are hunting down glass babies bottles for our coming blessings. I know a lot of folk fear breakages, but hey ? What did people use before plastics ?

In my vintage shopping jaunts, I've also found some old enamelware- pudding basins with lids- great for leftovers too. I remember my Grandfathers would take enamelware camping with them, as they are pretty much indestructible.

As for children's melamine ware, I haven't found any negative articles as yet- just don't microwave it- we plan on continuing to use the pieces our daughters had, for our sons. We also have some vintage Tupperware cereal bowls that will do for this purpose. If anyone wants an unbreakable alternative, I believe you can get Stainless Steel dinnerware as well.

Speaking of Stainless Steel, we are gradually replacing all our Teflon frying pans with stainless. Some of ours was scuffed and small particles can infiltrate your food. When I smelt an odd smell coming from one I was cooking in the other day, out it went!

Just a bit more info I found surfing the net- if you buy one of the new Pyrex sets with the plastic lids, don't let the lids touch your food- they're number 7 too!

So why is this vintage Christian Mama suddenly on a rampage against toxic plastics/saucepans in the kitchen ? It comes down to STEWARDSHIP. We are responsible for the health of our famlies, and if information such as this comes to light, who am I not to heed it. I feel there are many things in this modern world that we hang on to for the sake of convenience, but many Mamas raised many more children many moons ago without them. So what is the cost of convenience and ignorance ?

Here are some Links

http://www.checnet.org/healthehouse/pdf/plasticchart.pdf

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/kitchen-plastic-easy-greening.html

Labels:

posted by Father's Grace Ministries at 6:12 pm

1 Comments:

Thanks for the info. I have been slowly weeding out my plastics. I am doing all of them. (Just for my peace of mind.) I love the Pyrex refrigerator dishes with the glass lids. I have found a few at our antique stores. I have had a great time looking for them.

Tina Kay <><

5:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home