Heart Reflections Live

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Insights from The Stepford Wives

I finally got around to seeing the remake of "The Stepford Wives", starring Nicole Kidman & Glenn Close. I wasn't going to bother at first as I'd heard it had very strong feminist overtones, & made out Stay-at -home-mums to be brainless & robotic, but curiosity got the better of me & I thought I'd like to judge for myself.
I'd already read on a few other Christian ladies' blogs, different things about the film- mainly it's feminist agenda, and yes as a Christian I can see that feminism & the battle of the sexes clashes, majorly with God's design for how a family is meant to be. (I don't want to enter into the feminist debate here, but I suggest if you're interested you visit www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com for some excellent in-depth articles.
What struck me was at the end of the film it is revealed that a woman (Glenn Close) was actually responsible for the dream & creation of "Stepford". She was a feminist whose dreams had crashed to the ground & so she set out to create this perfect world. Isn't it interesting that her perfect world, imperfect as it turned out hearkened back to simplers times & traditional values& roles, twisted as they were.
The key to her failure was the issue of control. Her feminist heart hadn't relinquished it. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks! If we as Christian woman try to fullfill our traditional biblical roles with a controlling spirit instead of a submitted heart WE WILL FAIL! We need to be fully submitted first to Christ, then to our husbands, not to our own agendas, otherwise, we won't fullfill the will of God & will also end up controlling our children instead of loving & guiding them. This is an issue the Lord has been bringing up with me lately. Simple things like thinking to much of my to do list & not enough time abiding in Him to get His agenda for the day, can end up with me being controlling in all sorts of little ways.
It's my prayer that daily I will be able to willingly submit more & more to the Lord & His plan for me.
posted by Father's Grace Ministries at 8:46 pm

2 Comments:

Hi! I found you through Lady Lenore's site. I also can tend to let my agenda "crowd out" God's leadings at times. These are times when I get too busy outside of the home; and EVERYONE suffers for it. Plus my home as well.
Thankfully this week God has kept me aware of it as I have had invitation after invitation. And with Him in charge it has not been difficult to say "no" to some things and "yes" to what He wants us to do.
On another note; I looove the look of your site. It's very charming.
Have a blessed day!
Jessica

10:29 am  

I found you from Homeliving comments...I enjoyed this article of yours very much and it gave me much pause and thought. Thankyou for this insight.

7:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home