Heart Reflections Live

Monday, May 05, 2008

God's Precious Gifts



"We are at a farmhouse; everything is plain but neat and nice. I asked Mrs Brown, our hostess, the other day if she did not envy me my four little pets; she smiled, said they were the best children she ever saw, and that it was well to have a family if you have means to start them in the world. For her part, she lived from hand to mouth, as it was, and was sure she could never stand the worry and care of a house full of young ones.

"But the worry and care is only half the story," I said. "The other half is pure joy and delight."

"Perhaps so to people that are well-to-do," she replied, "but to poor folks, driven to death as we are, it's another thing. I was telling my husband yesterday what a mercy it was there weren't any young ones round under my feet, and I could take city boarders and help work off the mortgage on the farm."

"And what did your husband say to that?"

"Well, he said we were young and hearty, and there was no such tearing hurry about the mortgage, and that he'd give his right hand to have a couple of boys like yours."

"Well?"

"Why, I said, supposing we had a couple of boys, they wouldn't be like yours, dressed to look genteel and to have genteel ways, but a pair of wild colts, into everything, tearing their clothes off their backs, and wasting faster than we could earn. He said 'twasn't the clothes, 'twas the flesh and blood he wanted, and 'twasn't no use to to argufy about it; a man that hadn't got any children wasn't mor'n half a man. 'Well,' says I, 'supposing you had a pack of 'em, what have you got to give'em? 'Jest exactly what my father and mother gave me,' says he; 'two hands to earn their bread with and a welcome you could have heard from Dan to Beersheba.'"

"I like to hear that!" I said. "And I hope many such welcomes will resound in this house. Suppose money does come in while little goes out; suppose you get possession of the whole farm; what then? Who will enjoy it with you? Who will you leave it to when you die? And in your old age, who will care for you?"

"You seem awful earnest," she said.

"Yes, I am in earnest. I want to see little children adorning every home as flowers adorn every meadow and every wayside. I want to see them welcomed into the homes they enter, to see their parents grow less and less selfish and more and more loving because they have come. I want to see God's precious gifts accepted, not frowned upon and refused."

From "Stepping Heavenward" by E. Prentiss.

Food for Thought:

The Bible calls children a blessing and debt a curse. Why in this modern age do so many reject the blessing and pursue the curse?

Labels: ,

posted by Father's Grace Ministries at 8:20 pm

1 Comments:

Hi Claire

What food for though that is ~ rejecting the blessing to pursue the curse. A very succinct way of putting my passion for motherhood into words!

I just found your blog thanks to a comment you left on mine a couple of months ago. Don't ask me why I was tracking back, but I was. I wanted to thank you for your words of wisdom, regarding having my children in church. Our trial is nearly at an end and I have a feedback form to fill out & return. Our Youth Pastor is also leaving us at the end of June and I can't help but feel that it is for the best.

7:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home