Heart Reflections Live

Friday, November 03, 2006

Nursery Rhymes & Recipes


I Love children's picture books- especially ones with a bit of history attached. Remember this from Mother Goose...

Boys & girls come out to play, The moon doth shine as bright as day.
Leave your supper & leave your sleep, & join your playfellows in the street.
Come with a whoop & come with a call, come with a good will or not at all.
Up the ladder & down the wall, A half-penny loaf will serve us all;
You find milk & I'll find flour, And we'll have pudding in half an hour.

Now before anyone thinks I'm advocating letting your children run the streets at night!-I'm not!But I've got a simply delicious recipe-courtesy of Nanna Roberts- so yummy your dear ones will want to stay home for it AND it sounds a bit like the one from Mother Goose!

Quick Butterscotch Pudding

Ingredients: 1 cup SR Flour,
1/2 cup Milk,
1/2 cup raw sugar,
pinch of salt,
1 1/2 cups boiling water,
1 tbs butter or marg.,
2 tablespoons golden syrup


Combine flour, milk, sugar, & salt thoroughly, press into greased casserole dish. Mix water, butter & syrup together, pour over dough mixture, cook for about 1/2 hour or until browned. Nice served with cream, custard or icecream.

Now does anyone have the recipe for "peas pudding hot"? I'm not sure I'd be game to try that one!
posted by Father's Grace Ministries at 9:52 am

5 Comments:

oh yummy, I'm going to have to try that recipe.

I love how you've linked "old christian radio" on your blog. I'm really enjoying listening to those great hymns!!

1:27 pm  

: )

1:30 pm  

Hmmm... peas pudding? Yuck. I thought is was peas pourage hot. Still yuck! The butterscoth pudding recipe sounds good. What is golden syrup? I have a feeling it may just be an Australian to American translation issue. Is it light corn syrup?

5:56 am  

I've never heard of corn syrup, but some other variations I've heard are treacle or maple syrup. Isn't it amazing the differences between Aussie & American speak & even foods.Americans have ketchup-we have tomato sauce,Americans were flip-flops-Aussies call them thongs!Americans put babies in Diapers- we call them nappies!I've discovered many differences blogging- but isn't it great that as women we can all relate & can all be one in Christ.

8:34 am  

Ah yes, we used to call them thongs too. But somewhere between the 70's and the 90's the term thong became that which related to women's underwear and not footwear.

6:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home