Heart Reflections Live

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

An Old Quaker Recipe for those with High Cholesterol

I was shocked to find out in November last year, that I have very high cholesterol. I've never been a lover of greasy foods & I don't live at Mcdonalds, so I was astounded. I spoke to my Mum about it as she was also recently diagnosed with it & Yes, it does run in families. Some of my Aunties on both sides of the family have it too.

As we may not have completed our family yet, I've chosen not to go on medication yet, but to try to lower it by dietry changes. The hardest things for me to cut back on are eggs, cheese & chocolate. As I love my fruit & veges & we only fry in Olive Oil anyway, the rest of my diet isn't too bad. Here is a basic muffin recipe, my Mum uses. It is from the book, "The 8 week Cholesterol Cure by Robert E Kowalski...

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups oat bran cereal
1/4 cups sultanas
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup Golden syrup, Honey, or Molasses
1 1/4 cups skim milk
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Pre-heat oven to 220 C. In a large bowl combine the oat-bran cereal, nuts, raisins & baking powder. Stir in the brown sugar or liquid sweetening. Mix the milk, egg whites & oil together, & blend in with the oat bran mixture. Line muffin tins with paper baking cups & fill with batter. Bake 15-17 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick; it should come out moist but not wet. Makes 12 muffins.

I store my muffins in the freezer & usually microwave them before eating. Enjoy...

Labels: ,

posted by Father's Grace Ministries at 9:28 am

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home