Heart Reflections Live

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

So Teach Us to Number our Days...

My little one, Zara, has developed a real appreciation lately for looking at family photos- especially those that relay her short 3 year history! She has asked quite a few times lately to view them with me & asks many things relating to her story- things like stories about the house we used to live in, the songs I used to sing her as a baby... things like that.

We are big on photos in our house. I inherited my Grandmother's albums 5 years ago, & so we have pictures going back as far as my Grandmother's Grandmother if you can follow that! I'm not big on scrapbooking the creative way- we'd run out of room! I like acid-free slide in books with plenty of room for captions on the side. If I need to remove a photo to scan, I can access it easily. We also have a few very special photo albums with stuck in pictures, separated by tissue paper as well.
Psalm 90 vs 12 says, "So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom" KJV
and Psalm 39 vs 4, "Lord, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is;that I may know how frail I am."

Chronicling our lives through photos, scrapbooking & keepsakes from milestones & key events, all help us to number our days. That is why I'll continue to encourage both our girls in their love of the photo cupboard. Looking at my Grandmother's albums, I can see that life is but a breath. I see the picture of my Great Uncle, who was taken by a shark on the Eve of him leaving to fight in New Guinea in WW2. I see the joyous wedding picture of my Grandfather's sister, who sadly died, with her unborn child of peritonitis late in pregnancy, on the one weekend, their country doctor was out of town... but it was this same tragedy which resulted in my Grandfather relocating to support his grieving family & thus meeting & marrying my Grandmother... Many stories...happy, sad & courageous...I see the importance of church & family & a hearty faith in God & His Providence...This so inspires me to live for Him...

I look at our own family pictures, amazed at how quickly our little Princesses are growing. They are truly only lent to us by God. I stand rebuked when I remember grumpy, stressed out days & how much they cost us in joy & peace. It helps me to be more determined to yield to Christ in both the big & little things & walk in the fruit of the Spirit more often.

Every moment we live we are making a memory...Let's determine afresh to live each moment in joy for the glory of God.

Labels: , ,

posted by Father's Grace Ministries at 11:30 am

1 Comments:

Good advice. Advice that I'd do well to heed. Thanks for the reminder.

By the way, Hannah loves flipping through our photo albums too. Especially the one of her birth story, including baby showers and through her first year.

She just lost her great-grandma and grandma in the space of six months, hammering home the lesson on life's brevity. Sad to think a two-year has to learn this lesson so soon. She knows that her Mommy and Daddy will be around as long as they are needed and does not worry any longer about us or her dying. Big lessons for a little person.

6:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home