Heart Reflections Live

Sunday, June 10, 2007

True Beauty


What a challenge it can be in this day & age to bring up our daughters to understand true beauty. The sad abundance of trashy magazines in our stores, in front of their eyes, can, if we are not careful, diminish the truths we are endeavouring to impart.
How sad that many of the common sayings, based on Bible truths, have disappeared from so many conversations- Remember..."Handsome is as Handsome Does?", "Don't judge a book by looking at its cover". Can you remember any more?
When I think of true beauty, I remember my maternal Grandmother. Yes, she was always cheerful & femininely dressed with a lovely smile, but to the very end of her life, I remember the kindness in her eyes, & those warm, gnarled , worn hands, that served & comforted her children & grandchildren.
I found this poem, "The Rose", in my antique poetry book, "Gleanings from the English Poets". It was written by Isaac Watts, the great hymn writer.
How fair is the rose! what a beautiful flower,
The glory of April and May!,
But the leaves are beginning to fade in an hour,
And they whither and die in a day.
Yet the rose has one powerful virtue to boast,
Above all the flowers of the field;
When its leaves are all dead, and its fine colours lost,
Still how sweet a perfume it will yield!
So frail is the youth and beauty of men,
Though they bloom and look gay like the rose;
But all our fond cares to preserve them is vain
Time kills them as fast as he goes.
Then I'll not be proud of my youth nor my beauty,
Since both of them wither and fade;
But gain a good name by well doing my duty;
This will scent like a rose when I'm dead.
Mums, we need to encourage our daughters to live for that which is Eternal, and not for that which passes away.

Labels: , , ,

posted by Father's Grace Ministries at 7:59 pm

1 Comments:

wow, how beautiful, and so very true. Amen!!

11:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home