Heart Reflections Live

Friday, March 14, 2008

Peace in the Pressure Cooker of Life



Oh my, what wonderful lessons I'm learning as a full-time wife and Mama, and now a homeschooling one as well.

Life is wonderful, though often challenging and not always easy. Homeschooling is a dream come true for me (though we are still trialling it) and I'm seriously loving it, even with a very strong-willed but intelligent 6 year old student. She can be so incredibly passionate- worshipping the Lord with all her little being, working hard to learn her hymns and memory verses one minute, learning to read simple books in 3 weeks, and then falling prey to her sin-nature (flesh) the next and struggling with basic obedience the next in a more mundane task... But she is so precious and loving and she's OURS for now to train up and be disciplined in the ways of the Lord- what a priveledge!!! It's our hope and prayer that her passionate nature will be used for the glory of God.

Homeschooling is a wonderful lifestyle, but it's Mama training and character training for me too. (STOP PRESS: Our children have a friend from church over, and they are happily banging pots and pans, marching around the living room VERY LOUDLY- Praise the Lord!!!)Those pressure cooker moments are the perfect place for me to be and for the sweet Lord to bring me face to face with my own short-comings and sinfulness.

I consider it sinful if I lose my temper with my children, when bringing correction. There is nothing so ugly as a Mum yelling at her children. I believe this firmly, and yet I still lose it at times and am so aware of my sin, my bad example and my need of Grace. I desire my children to see less of me and more of Christ. And yet these moments are perfect for demonstrating in lack of a perfect example, an honest repentant heart, and what person on the face of the earth doesn't need to learn this.

Just yesterday I was about to do a cooking lesson with Miss 6, when Miss 4 woke up from her nap. I agreed to let her help, but I was stressing inwardly about the time, as we were expecting people over after dinner, and I was really pushed for time. Miss 6 was doing well and I decided to let Miss 4 help measure the ingredients, as she is good at this, quite tidy and loves to help. Miss 4 had just completed a lovely neat job with the flour, and then triumphantly flicked the scoop into the air, along with a heap of flour onto the already cleaned carpet. The volcano erupted!! (Now I know why Psalm 37 says fretting leads to evil...) I apologized for my outburst feeling ashamed and asked for forgiveness- and our little treasures are soooo forgiving. Happy she had finished her job, Miss 4 went off to play. Still disappointed by my outburst, I said to Miss 6, "I feel awful having snapped at Zara like that..." "Never mind, Mummy", she said. God will forgive you!".

Thank God for grace and for the precious gift of His Son. I thank Him for the pressure cooker moments as much as the peaceful and easy days. They all keep me close to Him. And GRACE is the seasoning that brings perfect peace even in the pressure cooker!

Labels: , , ,

posted by Father's Grace Ministries at 6:44 pm

2 Comments:

That is an area where I struggle too. The good thing is that you recognized your behavior and apologized for it. That is setting a good example for your girls too, as we will never be perfect. We all fall short of the glory of God.

I'm so happy for you being able to homeschool your girls. That is my dream also.

3:22 am  

Thank you for kind comment.
Yes, homeschooling is a dream come true for me, though we are still trialling it.
In Australia, it's easier in a way to be a stay at home Mum if you desire, and don't mind living on a low income.
I believe our former treasurer was well aware of the declining birth-rates and passed a law that actually pays Mothers to have children- soon to be $5ooo AUD per child. It's become a bit of a problem with teen Mums & druggies, but most people are responsible with it. In Australia, you also get a Parenting payment, until your youngest child turns seven.Homeschooling is actually a legal exemption to losing the payment at this point, and I don't think many people in Australia are aware of this. Generally social security systems are frowned upon, but our former conservative Government, was very family minded and saw the value in the stay at home parent.
I don't know how this compares to the United States. I noticed Jennie Chancey from Ladies Against Feminism posted a link last year I think, on Peter Costello (our former treasurer) and Australia's Baby Bonus system.
Claire

11:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home